Monday, February 21, 2011

Shaping my dream of writing.

Well, saying that I am going to start writing more, and actually doing it, are two different things. Of course, you probably already know this, right? Isn't that something that we learned in the second grade? Or thereabouts.

So how do I turn my desire to write - my need to get this manuscript finished - into an accomplishment? On that ground, I am stumped. I keep searching around for clues as to how other writers have gotten around their hurdles. And their stories are pissing me off more than inspiring me.

If I read another story about how someone tried and tried and tried and worked so hard only to be laughed at right up until they came across a rich philanthropist who just happened to be holding their ticket to publication... Well... Maybe I just need to find a rich philanthropist who just happens to be holding an extra ticket.

Or, actually, if I go the same route other authors seem to have gone, first I need to find a crowd to laugh at me. I've never really been a laughing stock before - could be new territory for me.

But I digress...

So, having the dream of being a writer is clearly not enough. The dream itself needs to be something tangible. For as long as it remains a dream, there's nothing to touch - no progress being made. I can sit and dote and whine to myself all day long about how life is getting in the way of my dream... But the truth is, until my dream is something tangible - a measurable output of a goal - then life is really only getting in the way of, well, a little thought bubble floating up over my head.

And, really, is it possible to get in the way of a thought bubble?

No comments:

Post a Comment